what i ate wednesday {2.1.12}: cheater.

by kathleen on February 1, 2012

i honestly thought about skipping this week’s what i ate wednesday for two reasons.  one, i’m pretty sure the hate mail will start coming if i post one more picture of a green vegetable and, on the same note, i’m fairly certain my camera may spontaneously combust at the sight of a brussels sprout.  two, this post feature’s tuesday’s eats, day 7 of my 10 day detox, and the final day of the detoxification phase.  what’s the issue?  well, as you will see, i had a few deviations from the recommended plan.  let’s see what happened…

pre-workout snack {6:30 a.m.}.

after rave reviews from and fabulous results experienced by friends and bloggers alike, matt and i decided to try out this whole crossfit thing and this morning we had our introductory session.  i did not know what to expect, and it ended up being more instructional than a workout, but, in any event, i did not want to show up under fueled and snacked on a handful of dates prior to our appointment.

[sidenote]: did anyone else see yesterday.  i love that girl

breakfast {8:30 a.m.}

same glass, same picture, same ingredients, different day.

post-crossfit i slurped down my standard spinach protein smoothie (spinach, banana, protein powder, almond milk, ice + xanthan to thicken.)  on the side i munched a nice juicy pear.  those shades of green just do not go well together.  sorry ’bout that!

lunch {12:00 p.m.}

i was ravenous, as in about-to-eat-my-arm hungry, by the time 11:00 a.m. rolled around, but had to deal with a rumbling stomach until my mid-morning meeting let out at which point i rushed home for (what else?) vegetables!

and this is where the deviation begins.  i tossed raw spinach in hummus (legumes — technically not allowed) and topped the bed with whole foods detox salad (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sunflower seeds, currants, raisins) and roasted brussels sprouts.  while the hummus, seeds, currants and raisins were not part of my day 7 plan, i still felt good about this lunch choice and felt it more important to listen to my body that was crying out for substance, than follow a piece of paper.

this detox salad was delicious, and i’ve found some great copycat recipes and if you’re interested!

snacks

throughout the afternoon i snacked on the usual fruit and nuts (again, nuts not part of the day 7 plan, but i felt my body needed the healthy fats).  this pictures shows you just how excited i was about eating another flippin’ banana.

at some point i gave up trying to portion my snacks and hit the bag.  hard.  i also sipped an unpictured trilogy kombucha — my one and only vice these days!

dinner {7:00 p.m.}

as some would say, this is where the wheels fell off the wagon.  as i type this post i wonder why i couldn’t have held out for one more meal (this dinner was my last meal of the detox phase) and whether or not i defeated the purpose by “giving in” at dinner, but, it was late, i was tired and hungry, matt had a delicious plate of food i had prepared, and this happened:

a delicious, juicy, organic, free range turkey burger stuffed with spinach and dipped in mustard.  as i’ve noted, my activity level stayed fairly high during this past week and as someone who consumes meat on a fairly regular basis, i felt as though my body really needed this protein (the brown rice powder wasn’t cutting it anymore).  i followed the rules with the rest of my meal (kale chips + rutabaga fries), and enjoyed every.single.bite. of this burger.

dessert was a crisp apple (that i’m sure you don’t need to see a picture of!) and i happily hit the pillow with a  full and satisfied belly.  i will do a full recap post this weekend with more thoughts on the cleanse in general, my “cheats”, how i feel, etc., but for now, i’m going to enjoy reintroducing my favorite foods into my diet… staring with the decaf misto i am sipping as i type!

happy wedensday!

how do you feel about “cheat” meals or “cheat” days?

do you have an all or nothing mentality?  does one slip up negate other hard work?

i most certainly have an all or nothing mentality and am trying my hardest to remember that one meal does not erase the hard work and healthy habits i have had the past 7 days.

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

1 February 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

I somewhat have an all or nothing mentality but I find it really hard not to cheat if I’m doing any sort of cleanse..I remember I only did a type of cleanse once before prom senior year of high school (typical I know) and I’m pretty sure I didn’t cheat..? But honestly I don’t really remember..I just remember feeling miserable for a solid 4 days! not good!

2 tammy February 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

I don’t know anything about it…but that cleanse you are on in particular seems a bit strange.
Good, healthy lean meats are good.
A detox (to me) and sensibly so : remove white flours and sugar from your diet, remove snack chips and kiddie chocolates. Remove artificial nut butters made with excessive ingredients.
But to remove healthy, wholesome brown rice, organic chicken, fiber-rich almonds, etc ….it just seems to make no sense to me. I don’t see how that balances the body.

Instead all you give yourself is a plethora of fruits, which is ironically enough, what most say to remove to a more sensible servings per day in order to balance the body. Eating tons of fruit doesn’t seem very balancing. Dates, bananas, etc. In terms of science, you just feed your body sugar (though it is natural sugar, and I eat a lot of fruit, but eating only fruit ..particularly wihtout a balancing protein or fat is a bit strange).

p.s.: coconut oil tastes great on salads. And avocado!

3 kathleen February 1, 2012 at 1:38 pm

i am certainly not suggesting that healthy lean meats are not good for you, but i do think that a temporary elimination of meat (especially given farming practices in america today) can help rid the body of toxins (my intent in this cleanse). i have every intention of reintroducing meat meat into my diet as soon as this is over. as far as the fruits go, they were definitely balanced with plenty of veggies! i think everything in moderation is the way to maintain day-to-day health, but for a short term (10 day) program, i did not see any harm in the way i was eating.

4 February 1, 2012 at 9:34 am

OK, I definitely need to restore my date supply! Ran out last night…. Boo!

5 February 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

Haha you tried! No way I could have gone all green for a few days. And that salad for lunch looks delicious!

6 February 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

I don’t like using the word “cheat” meal or day. I believe eating healthy is a lifestyle change and within that lifestyle you are allowed (and do not have to cheat) to eat sweets or multiple servings. It’s all about balance and how you feel. Granted it’s not always easy not to be hard on yourself if you do indulge but just remember – it’s just the bottom of the bag of cookies NOT the end of the world hehe.

7 February 1, 2012 at 9:48 am

Aww thanks so much for the mention girl! :) I’m so glad you enjoyed the salad. It’s one of my favourites and I make it at least once each month! As for the all-or-nothing mentality, I don’t think I do. Normally if a special event or something comes up and I eat things I normally wouldn’t, I try to get back on track as soon as possible. I know it sounds weird, but if I’m away on holiday and there aren’t many fruits and veggies available, I start to go into withdrawal!! Have a fantastic day!

8 kathleen February 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

me too!! i went on a 7 day vacation once and i swear, by the end of it i would have given my left arm for something green!

9 February 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’m so glad you didn’t skip this post!! This gives me some ideas as I’ve been reading on what you did and might follow your cleanse…Plus most of the eats look delicious whether doing a cleanse or not! Question- how in the world is spinach cheating? And bananas? What are wrong with the other fruits besides the apple and pears that deter a cleanse?

10 kathleen February 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm

it was that i used hummus as a salad dressing with the spinach — no legumes during these few days. but again, if that’s the worst thing i do, i’d say it was a success!! not sure what makes apples and pears different — i should look into that!

11 February 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

I try REALLY hard to not be all or nothing.

I know you were on a detox plan, but your food looks REALLY healthy, and your slip up was on something healthy too! :)

12 February 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

you did just fine! Don’t beat yourself up about it. I think its about the effort that you did put into it and the overall process. I followed the “Spent” diet/lifestyle for 9 weeks straight with zero cheats (for health reasons a few years back) and since then when I go on it, its just a modified version and I can never not cheat just a little, but its better than nothing!

13 kathleen February 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

agreed!

14 February 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

Dates are the best pre-workout fuel! I also always bring them on my long runs instead of shot blocks or gus.

15 February 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I definitely don’t have an “all or nothing” mentality. One slip up (or two.. heck even three!) is fine, just as long as you’re passionte about sticking to your workout routines and eating healthy meals on a regular basis.
Kudos to you for pretty much sticking to this detox though! I’ve been reading your posts the past few days and I think you’re doing well. It’s not like you’re cheating with twinkies and chips. Like you say, you’re an active person so your body needs the healthy proteins and carbs to functions! I might try this detox one day.

Also, hope you end up enjoying crossfit! I’m really interested in it, and would love to join in the future.

16 kathleen February 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

it was intense!! i will do a more comprehensive post on it when i’ve been a couple more times :)

17 February 1, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I’m an all or nothing person, too, but I’m really trying to go easy on myself – and I hope you are, too! Even if it didn’t fit the bill of your detox, this looks like a healthy day. And even more important is to listen to your body when it says something like “eat more protein now!”

18 February 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm

that turkey burger looks amaze. and weirdly, i just texted my friend a picture of a rutabega because i bought one for the first time and forgot what it was as i was shifting through the veggie drawer. she suggested i make fries w/ it also :)

also, why do i feel the need to not use caps on your blog!

19 kathleen February 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

probably because i don’t use caps!

20 February 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

The word “cheat” makes me feel like I’ve failed, so I don’t like to use it. I usually just make a mental note that I’ve eaten something that may not have been super healthy and make up for it in other ways.

21 February 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Loving the smoothie in the Guinness mug!

22 February 1, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Definitely a good idea to listen to your body and eat what it is really craving. I find that when I up my activity level, I always crave more meat. “Cheat” days are definitely a no-no for me. I’ve done that too often in the past. I DO plan ahead for family gatherings, meals out with friends, etc. I find that when I am craving something, I talk myself through it first. But I do leave room for some fun food every week {homemade pizza, homemade burgers, etc.}.

23 February 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm

green smoothie in a guinness glass = genius! the whole foods detox salad looks really very good :)

24 February 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I feel like it is so much more important to listen to your body! You have been doing so well, and the point of this cleanse is to make you feel GOOD, yes? Now if you had eaten a huge bowl of ice cream, I might question your judgement… ;)

25 February 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

As long you don’t have them frequently, I think it’s okay… It’s good for sanity reasons. LOL. :)

26 February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

With all of the activity in your day and week, I think your “cheat” was well-deserved! A friend who did a fruit/veg cleanse once said she was so sick of produce after the fast that she couldn’t eat her favorite vegetable stir fry dish for weeks following! Sounds like your more balanced approach is working out better