what i ate wednesday {2.29.12}

by kathleen on February 29, 2012

i am quite up front about the fact that one of the best parts of my job is the ability to work from home the majority of my days.  not only does this provide flexibility in my day to day schedule, but having a stocked kitchen at my hands makes healthy eating pretty easy!  there is no need for weekend prep work, meal planning, etc. as i have healthy staples at my fingertips when breakfast, lunch, or snack time rolls around.

so, needless to say, having to be downtown, looking professional (i usually work in yoga clothes) for an 8 a.m. meeting threw me for a loop!  i found myself with wet hair and no outfit picked out, forget about breakfast, with about 9 minutes until my goal departure time.  i am in sheer awe of those of you who have your morning routine down and are out the door on time every day!  as such, please excuse the frazzled, wind blown hair in the pictures below.

with that little anecdote, it’s time for !  seeing as it is the last wiaw of month (and given my lackluster effort last week), i really aimed to pack ‘em in today.  thank you, as always, to the lovely for hosting!

NewImage

breakfast {7:15 a.m.}

as i mentioned, i was running a tad late this morning and grabbed two pb + apple muffins on my way out.  of course they alluded the camera (seeing as though they were in my mouth faster than i’m sure you thought humanly possible), but just so y’all remember what they look like, here’s a pretty pic from the weekend.

NewImage

as i parked for my meeting, i noticed a cute little juice bar and stopped in for some green (getting those veggies in!)  this would be a delicious kale/celery/cucumber/apple blend that totally hit the spot.  just as energizing, but i have to imagine much more nutritious, than my standard morning misto.  (again — apologies for the crazy hair.  it was windy and i promise i brushed it before i went into the working world!)

IMG 20120224 00265

lunch {12:00 p.m.}

i made it home in time to put together a deliciously filling, and veggie packed lunch.  i roasted up a big ole’ pile of brussels sprouts (if you haven’t heard, i love ‘em) and topped the veg with scrambled egg whites, mozzarella cheese and a dollop of roasted red pepper hummus.  on the side was another dee-licious sweet potato (i swear, this batch from whole foods was extra sweet.)  post-picture i topped the tater with cinnamon spiked greek yogurt.  perfection.

IMG 0299

snacks {3:30 p.m.}

i was feeling snacky mid afternoon and threw together a bowl of 2% greek yogurt and .

IMG 0341

washed down with a kombucha, but of course (temporarily resting a top my massive pile of laundry yet to be folded).

IMG 0349

and that coffee i skipped this morning, no need to worry, i made up for it in the form of a grande decaf soy latte while work, work, working away at starbucks this afternoon.

NewImage

dinner {7:00 p.m.}

matt and i met my mom and sister for dinner at our favorite local spot.  i started with a simple chopped mixed greens salad.

IMG 0357

and dinner was my favorite ratatouille: layers of roasted zucchini, portabella mushroom, bermuda onion and tomato marinated sauce and goat cheese on top.  i added grilled chicken for an extra bit of protein and satiety.

IMG 0363

holy mountain of vegetables!  i demolished the entire dish, give or take a piece of zucchini or two, and it was absolutely delicious.  so filling, but light at the same time.

i’m now munching a few pieces of dark chocolate and will most likely stick my finger in the peanut butter jar before i head up to bed.  hope y’all are having a great week — halfway there!

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

1 February 29, 2012 at 5:52 am

Haha, I can imagine if I stayed at home, I would be rocking the yoga pants and hoodies all the time. Heck when I am at home that is ALL I ware! So funny that our lunches are quite similar. I’m definitely with you on the sprouts although when I eat a huge batch for lunch, I know that I’ll (or my husband) will pay for it later. ;) Surprisingly, that doesn’t keep me from eating them. :)

2 February 29, 2012 at 6:10 am

All your eats looks so delicious! After eating out constantly for the past two months, I. am. craving. homemade. food. My dream job is to be able to work in yoga pants everyday. Although I wouldn’t mind going into an office, I’d like yoga pants to be an acceptable wardrobe choice. A girl can dream, right?

3 kathleen February 29, 2012 at 9:56 am

i am still convinced that black yoga pants can pass as dress pants if you accessorize correctly :)

4 February 29, 2012 at 6:28 am

I am so jealous of your working from home! Yes, I can get out the door in literally 10 minutes (I come back from the gym at 6:45 and am showered and usually blow-dried by 6:55), but I don’t have my kitchen at my fingertips. One of the most frustrating things about working at a school is the set meal times (during which time I’m not usually hungry — 11:15 for lunch!) and no control over the food. However, I packed my millet bread and a banana today — pb and banana for lunch. Take that!

5 kathleen February 29, 2012 at 9:57 am

10 minutes?!

and yes, i would hate that re: meal times. i like to eat when i’m hungry. 11:15 for lunch?! that is so early. i’d be ready for dinner at 3:00 p.m.!

6 February 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

i never thought to top brussels with egg whites like that. great idea!

7 kathleen February 29, 2012 at 7:25 am

stole it from Lauren…. see comment 1 :)

8 February 29, 2012 at 7:02 am

I’ve never tried topping brussels sprouts with eggs, what a great idea!

9 February 29, 2012 at 7:53 am

That dinner looks delicious!!! As does your lunch, now I’m craving a sweet potato!!!

10 February 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

Your eats look super good!
I had a green juice yesterday, too! It had apples, cucumber, kale, celery, lemon, and ginger. They are sooo good!

11 February 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

Despite your working day whirlwind, it looks like you were still able to pull off a pretty nutritious looking day. I’m especially digging your Greek yogurt + cereal snack blend. This has become one of my absolute favorite snacks of late – a little Greek yogurt, a little Kellogg’s FiberPlus Cinnamon Oat Crunch, banana slices and a dollop of peanut butter – so good!

12 kathleen February 29, 2012 at 9:57 am

never tried that cereal! i’m always on the lookout for new kinds, though. will have to pick some up :)

13 February 29, 2012 at 10:09 am

If you do get a chance to try it, I’d love to know what you think! You can find out more about our cereals at , or feel free to contact me directly. :)

14 February 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

That ratatouille looks so good! A++ on the veggie intake!

15 February 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

Ahh I hate the frazzled/rushed feelings! That ratatouille looks great :) Love that dish!

16 February 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yumm, I made a spinach/cucumber/apple/lemon juice this morning. So much energy!

17 February 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Working from home would be dangerous for me – I’d never get out of my pajamas!!! I guess that isn’t a bad thing though.

18 February 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hey Kathleen,
I don’t know if it’s just my computer, but for some reason all the pictures you post as of late appear distorted – I can tell they are beautiful photos, but they appear tall and narrow and not proportional. Has anyone else noticed this?

19 kathleen March 1, 2012 at 6:43 am

yes i’ve heard that from a few people! i have no idea what is going on — looking into it, though :)

20 February 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love Brussels sprouts too! I need to roast them more, but for a quick fix I just microwave steam some frozen ones and can eat them like popcorn. A little dab of spicy brown mustard and sprinkle of cumin and cayenne is nice too!

21 February 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Now that I no longer work outside the home, yoga pants are my uniform! And I am lucky if I am showered by noon. I need to try that kombucha. I keep hearing about it everywhere!

22 March 1, 2012 at 3:47 am

and will most likely stick my finger in the peanut butter jar before i head up to bed = me too! Sometimes I get into bed, teeth are brushed, get a craving, go down to the Pb jar, must re-brush teeth. lol

23 March 1, 2012 at 5:17 am

ratatouille is one of my favourite dishes! looks super tasty your WIAW!